Gourmet Steak Sandwich with Caramelised Onion
Gather your friends around and tuck into a magnificent steak sandwich. This recipe includes a delicious jammy caramelised onion as well as a simple and quick aioli.
Quick Garlic Aoli
- 3/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 large onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 40 g / 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt & pepper
- 700g beef rump steak
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- ½ avocado
- Jarlsberg cheese, sliced
- Iceberg lettuce, roughly chopped
- Mustard of your choice
- Turkish bread, sliced into 4,
- or 4 bread rolls of your choice
- Mix mayonnaise and garlic together in a small bowl.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium low heat. Add onions and stir to coat in butter. Place lid on and leave for 20 minutes, stirring every now and then, until onion is golden (increase heat slightly if the colour is not changing).
- Add sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook for a further 10 minutes until jammy. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Take beef out of fridge 20 minutes before cooking. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat (or heat BBQ). Cook steak to your liking (hint: it’s best when cooked to medium rare).
- Transfer beef to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 – 10 minutes. Then slice thinly against the grain.
Assemble sandwiches however you like and enjoy!